The built environment has expanded and evolved over time to satisfy various human needs. It encompasses structures, places and spaces created or modified by people to promote human interaction and living conditions. As part of the vision of the University to contribute to the effective planning of land space, the Building Technology Department was created. It is mandated to train and conduct scientific research into construction services, including architectural designing, quantity surveying, real estate management, and building construction. The Department has built strong linkages with the industry to offer academic courses and programs for the construction and allied industries. The goal of the Department is to train high and middle-level professionals who are well-versed in the laws, regulations and standards in the building industry as well as research and develop innovations on improved technologies in methods and materials to enhance productivity and cost-effectiveness in the construction sector.
Stakeholders of the Department
The major stakeholders of the Department include the following:
- Ministry of Works and Housing
- Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development
- Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR
- Ghana Standards Authority (GSA)
- New Juaben Municipal Assembly (NJMA)
- Ghana Highway Authority (GHA)
- Association of Building and Civil Engineering Contractors of Ghana (ABCECG)
- Ghana Institute of Surveyors (GIS)
- Ghana Real Estate Developers Association (GREDA)
- Ghana Institute of Architects (GIA)
- A well-furnished computer lab to aid computerised construction designs
- Drawing studio
- Mechatronic lab to aid computer simulation of building processes
- The Department also has established a strong partnership with the Eastern Regional branch of the Ghana Highway Authority, where innovative products are tested their labs.
Programs and Courses:
The Building Technology Department runs both Bachelor of Technology (BTech) (four years and two-year Top-up) and Higher National Diploma (HND – 3 years) programs with options in:
- Construction Technology and Management
- Quantity Surveying and Commercial Practice
- Building Services Technology
- Real Estate Management.
Requirements for BTech programs:
Prospective applicants applying for the four-year BTech program must have at least a WASSCE certificate with C6 being the least grade. Prospective applicants applying for BTech Two-year Top-up must possess an HND certificate with at least Second-class lower division.
Requirements for the HND program:
A prospective applicant may apply with his/her WASSCE certificate with at least D7. Applicants who are 25 years and older with/without their certificates may apply as mature students of which she/he may be required to write a common entrance examination at a fee. Applicants applying as mature students are required to apply with the following; birth certificate, passport picture, O-level certificate, baptismal certificate
Career and Job Prospects
- Architectural services
- Building construction
- Quantity surveying
- Real estate management
- Building consultancy